15 Jun 2017

Q&A with Musician Alex massmedia

Hi Alex, thank you for taking the time answering my questions for Vanity Afro :)

1. Give our readers a short but descriptive label for your style of music. I don't know if really I have a style of music. I just try to connect my soul sensitivity to deep, sincere and complex reflections I have; I express all that on simple but effective melody that suit.


2. What do you learn about yourself from the soul music and culture? First that we have a soul and it's important to remember that. That also taught me that life is a fight that we should never escape from. Cause suffering and disillusions are there to make us understand that we can live by looking far away above our world and share good things we gained by fighting.

3. You've learned to play guitar on your own with "Marylin", your 1st guitar; what was your learning process as a self-taught guitarist? Where should one start? Honestly by doing anything. I decided to let my fingers playing, miming what a real guitarist would do but that was awful. A hundred times like that, and I was so angry that I decided to learn more seriously, by going step by step. But never ask me which chord I am playing because I still do not know.


4. What do you miss most nowadays from the Blues & Soul of the past?  That honesty in melodies, rhythm, and interpretation. That visceral need to sing or die and that deep melancholy that brings necessary mysticism which we all need to live.

5. You sometimes perform with a guitarist named Taofik Farah. How did you meet? My “bro” the genius bass player called Stephane castry and put us in touch. I am very grateful to him because he is really an amazing guitar player. We're connected when we play together.

6. What are some of the most memorable venues you've played, and which artists you've had the pleasure of working with? A concert hall called « la traverse » near the city of Rouen, where during my show, I had the honour to sing one of my songs with a high school student’s chorale with whom I worked previously. A magnificent and impressive theatre « le Théâtre de Corbeil-Essonnes, where I had the chance to share the stage with the great Madame « Naomie Shelton and the gospel queens » and had a talk with James Brown bass player and her after her show. So much kindness vibrations emanated from this beautiful old woman that I offered her my rosary. Another one was when I shared the stage with Mr « Cody ChesnuTT» at « Cully Jazz Festival » in Switzerland where the stage was five meters from the Lake Geneva.


7. Which Cities would you like to perform in?
London, Berlin, New York, Tokyo etc... Anywhere as long as people need, feel, and love « soul and blues music ».

8. Name 3 things that make you happy?
- Enjoy being on stage with my team.
- The smile of children.
- Walking in forest along a river far away from human beings.

9. Tell us about your new EP, Devil Deal. How did you come up with the name? How did the songs come about? Who have you worked with on it? About the name, I just looked at the way the world is turning crazy. And the fact that nobody can't deny now that the biggest part of the occidental population agree. The songs come because I feel guilty and ashamed of calling myself a human being. And from the fact that I feel powerless because I have only my music to fight. I worked on with my guitarist Taofik Farah, my sound engineer Arnaud Betton, and my inseparable and hard worker manager Marina Hesry.



10. What are you working on right now? Children's tale, A book of poetry, and always new songs

Discover Alex Massmedia 

Website: http://alexmassmedia.com/

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alexmassmedia/

Facebook: https://fr-fr.facebook.com/alexmassmediaofficiel

Twitter: @AlexMassMedia

Vanity Afro, 16/06/2017

Be happy, do the best you can, be good and kind. X

No comments:

Post a Comment